Thursday 19 May 2011

To vote or not to vote?

Yesterday's voting left me with some food for thought.  Let me start by saying that I am passionate about the fact that people should vote.  If we did not have the right to vote, it is likely a principle we would die for.  But, since we do have it, many people are seemingly apathetic about it.  They are happy to criticize the government, but do buggerall to usher in a new dispensation.  I suppose it's easier to sit on your arse and moan that it is to take responsiblity for doing something about it.

Perhaps I am being too harsh, and they are making a political statement by not voting.  I would rather spoil my ballot as a counted vote of no confidence than just stay away.  I feel it sends a stronger message.  If a million people choose not to vote, that could be the difference between one party's outright majority ceasing to be, and a possibly stronger opposition.

This election, however, really is a turning point in our history.  Even if the ANC win an outright majority, they have had to fight harder for it than ever before.  The people have had enough, and they are making a statment with their x.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment