Thursday 4 November 2010

Has the world gone bonking mad?

It's springtime in Johannesburg, and the world has gone bonking mad.  Literally.

The largest manmade forest in the world, botanical miracle that it may be, is driving me to distraction.  I believe that I am in danger of severe dehydration from the sheer volume of snot that I am now producing on a daily basis, and I lift up my prayers daily for Spring to please, please just be over.

We have a Transvaal bullfrog that has taken up residence at our pool with his considerable harem.  Let's call him Toadie.  Now Toadie makes Hugh Hefner look like a bit of a slacker in the girlfriend stakes, and is he a busy boy.  I am frequently awoken in the early hours of the morning by Toadie's very unIglesias like singing (Toadie clearly doesn't know he's tone deaf) to his swooning girlfriends.  Toadie has even taken it upon himself to extend his marathon bonking sessions to the daytime, and the pool wier has become Toadie's Lair of Love.  What goes on in that wier is simply too shocking to place on these pages.  Toadie is a very, very naughty little froggie.

The other problem with Spring is that it has caused a bit of inner turmoil.  I have this uncontrollable urge (still an urge mind you since it hasn't been followed up by action) to clean stuff.  I mean I was sitting on the patio just now and actually gave consideration to washing the dining room curtains.  I had to make myself a cup of tea and sit quietly until the feeling went away.  I fear, however, that the urge to purge is going to take over.  I'd like to clean out the cupboards, and the way I see it, a more practically implemented philosophy of less is more is not a bad idea.  I have enough changes of linen to comfortably service Buckingham Palace.  And towels...although my daughter uses a record number for a simple shower - clearly she gets far wetter than normal people.  A really big tossing out of stuff.

Let me have a cup of tea while I think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment